Click Here for Printable Document
Chaska Super Classic Girls Basketball Tournament Rules
High school basketball rules will be followed except as noted:
1. Grades 4 A/B/C and 5 B/C – No full court press or zone defense allowed. Help defense is allowed. First violation results in a warning. Second violation and all subsequent violations result in a technical foul.
2. Grade 5 A – Person to person pressing only. No zone defense allowed. Help defense is allowed. First violation results in a warning. Second violation and all subsequent violations result in a technical foul.
3. Grades 6, 7 and 8 – All defenses are allowed. Pressing is allowed.
4. 4 th Grade Free throws – A Special free throw line will be marked at each court at the 12 ft line. All 4 th grade players may attempt free throws from this line, but cannot cross this line during their shooting motion or a FT Lane violation will be called.
5. The ball size for all games in grades 5 through 8 is 28.5. For 4th grade, we will use the 27.5 size ball per MYAS rules. The home team will supply the ball.
6. The home team will supply the official scorekeeper. Home team is the Top Team listed in the Bracket or the First Team listed in Pool Play. Home team will wear dark jerseys and away team will wear light colored jerseys.
7. A player will compete on only one team during the tournament. Exceptions to this rule can be granted in this COVID year, please contact Emily Rome Welter prior to the tournament to discuss at 612-207-6334.
8. A 5 minute warm-up is allowed before the game.
9. Teams will be given a 5 minute grace period if not present at the scheduled game time. Teams that are not ready to play at the end of the grace period, with a minimum of 5 players, will forfeit the game.
10. The alternate possession rule will be used in all jump ball situations, with the exceptions of the beginning of the game and the beginning of each overtime.
11. Beginning with the 7th team foul of each half, free throws are one and one. There will not be double bonus this year.
12. For all grades, 20 minute running time halves will be played with stop time in the last 2 minutes of the second half. Running time will be used in the last two minutes of the game only when one team is up by 20 or more points; stop time starts again when the score differential is 15 points or less.
13. Pressing is not allowed when a team is up by 20 or more points. First violation results in a warning. Second violation and all subsequent violations result in a technical foul.
14. The half-time is 3 minutes.
15. Technical fouls are an automatic two points and possession of the ball. Technical fouls are counted as both individual fouls and team fouls.
16. Three point field goals will be counted only where there is a three point line on the gym floor. If the gym floor does not have a three point line, all shots from the field will count as 2 points. 2 of 2
17. Overtime: The first overtime will be 2 minutes stop-time. If the game is still tied at the end of 2 minutes, the second overtime will be sudden victory-the first to score wins. Exception: Championship games. All championships games will continue with 2 minute stop time overtimes until there is a winner.
18. Each team is allowed 3 time-outs per game. Time-outs cannot be carried over into overtime. One additional time-out is allowed if the game goes into overtime. No time-outs are allowed in the second (and any subsequent) overtime.
19. Coaches are responsible for the actions of themselves, their players and their fans. Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. Unsportsmanlike conduct may result in game and/or tournament forfeiture (tournament fees will not be refunded). Tournament directors reserve the right to refuse admission or remove from the tournament premises, any individual displaying inappropriate behavior.
20. No protests allowed. Referees will settle all disputes during the game.
21. Inclement Weather. If hazardous weather conditions exist, please check our website at http://www.caybba.com for updates. If your game is not canceled and you do not show up for your scheduled game, you will incur a forfeit. No refunds will be provided if the tournament is cancelled or shortened because of hazardous weather conditions.
22. Players, coaches and fans must follow good sportsmanship rules. Inappropriate actions and/or words by coaches, players, and spectators will not be tolerated. Any player or coach that receives two technical fouls during any single game shall be ejected. Additionally, the referees shall have the right to eject any spectator that the referee feels is not demonstrating good sportsmanship. Any spectator ejected for any reason shall not be allowed to return for the remainder of the tournament. In the event of an ejection, the game will be stopped until the person(s) leaves. If they have not left after five minutes, the game will be called and the coach’s, player’s, or spectator’s team will forfeit. Any coach or player picking up a third technical for any reason will be ejected for the remainder of the tournament.
23. Masks must be worn at all times by all players, coaches, referees, volunteers, and spectators while inside the buildings. Players and referees do not need to wear masks during competition.
Tie breakers for pool play: 2-way tie
1. Head-to-head record
2. Highest point differential (points scored minus points allowed) 15pt maximum per game
3. Team that gave up the fewest total points in all games.
More than two teams tied
1. Head to Head Record
2. Highest point differential during tournament play. (points scored minus points allowed) 15pt maximum per game.
3. Team that gave up the fewest total points in all games.
4. Once the first winning team has been determined, we take the remaining teams and repeat the tiebreaker process
5. This process is repeated until all finishing places are determined.
Rules updated on: January 12, 2022